Blog Entry # 4: Digital Audio Tools
I have used digital audio tools in my own class in a couple of different ways. One way that I have used digital audio tools in my class is by playing music when my students are working on assignments or projects. Students often really enjoyed having calming music in the background while they worked. My favorite music to play for students was Yo-Yo Ma performing film scores by composer Ennio Morricone. Below is an example of one of the songs I would play for students.
Another way that I have used digital audio tools in my classroom is with GarageBand. My students used this app to create News Broadcasts about researched topics. GarageBand allows students to combine music, sound effects and voice recording. This was always a favorite project! Similar to the information provided in lecture this week, students had to do quite a bit of pre-production work to create these broadcasts. I actually thought it would be cool to use next weeks focus - graphic organizers - to help students format their scripts.
After reading Chapter 5 of Hutchison and Colwell and listening to lecture, I am very excited to use MORE digital audio tools in my own classroom. I LOVED the idea of students reading books aloud and attaching a QR code for students to hear their friends read! This is such a great way to provide an authentic audience for students to practice their reading fluency.
I also liked the way that digital audio tools could actually help with evaluation and feedback. For younger grades, this could mean assessing fluency and decoding abilities for our students. For older grades, I thought the idea of audio feedback was amazing. Sometimes, written feedback can come off as harsh - students cannot guess our tone. Audio feedback seems less ambiguous. I really liked the idea of being able to narrate the grading process while interacting with actual pieces!
I really want to begin using more podcasts in my own classroom. I think students can benefit from listening to podcasts and creating their own. A few of the podcasts that I listen to with my own children are: Smash Boom Best and Brains On! My kids love both of these. Smash Boom Best is a debate formatted show that has two people debate topics that kids would be interested in, for example "Lego v. Minecraft." This would be a great podcast for students to learn about argumentative writing.
I have been listening to podcasts as a form of teacher professional development since I have been out of the classroom. My favorite is the Cult of Pedagogy. Jennifer Gonzalez and her team create great shows that have practical take-aways about so many different topics in education.
I would really to like create my own podcasts for students that I could post on my classroom website. I thought it might be an interesting way to introduce, supplement and review material. I also want my students to begin to create podcasts in my classes. As I was using Audacity this weekend - I thought it had a bit of a learning curve. I would have to become more familiar with it before I presented it as an option for students. Students could also use GarageBand to create podcasts. I think it would be really important to make sure that I had an authentic audience for student podcasts. The Book Club for Kids podcast was amazing! Student book clubs are combined with author interviews to create a wonderful podcast.
I am truly excited to explore ways that I can integrate more digital audio tools into my own curriculum!
Hi Elizabeth! I also love to put on calming music in the background while students are working independently. On Fridays, I switch it up a little bit and put on Kidz Bop and my first graders have a blast! I'll have to listen to the Cult of Pedagogy podcast and see if I like it. I didn't really like the few that I listened to last week! Thanks for the recommendation!
ReplyDeleteHi! I also use calming music in the background while my students are working. Last year, I was piloting a new smartboard in my room and at first we could not figure out how to play the music it had a major negative impact on the mood of my room. Thankfully we were able to figure out how to get the music back while other tabs were in use!
ReplyDeleteHi Elizabeth, it sounds like using GarageBand with your students is a really fun activity! I've heard of GarageBand before but I've never used it, I'll have to check it out. Also making your own podcast seems like an awesome idea! I need to get more comfortable recording myself before I could think of making my own podcast lol
ReplyDelete